Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lucidity: An Acquired Skill

It has been a while now since my last post, which has given me plenty of time to learn how to Lucid Dream. In lieu of trying to get the most out of my 24 hour day by trying to "cheat the system" with polyphasic sleep, I am learning to willingly enter the night's embrace. Now I am beginning to manipulate my relationship.
Lucid Dreaming involves altering your mental state before sleep, as well as the way that you sleep in order to control the way you dream. Stated most simply, lucid dreaming occurs when you are aware that you are dreaming. If you can teach yourself to recognize when you are dreaming, you can then realize that you are actually in control of what sensations your semi-conscious brain is producing.
In order to learn how to lucid dream, I relied heavily on a series of Youtube videos provided by a man named Tim Post. Here is his first video:

Along with the series of in-depth videos he created a website in association with The University of Twente in The Netherlands: Lucidepedia.com.
Tim's method follows the scientifically supported "Wake back to bed technique". This method which involves waking up reflecting on your dreams and then immediately returning back to sleep around two hours before your normal wake-up time is not the best for a college student. Setting my alarm earlier than usual would surely be annoying for my roommate. However, he has been travelling a lot lately for Baseball which has given me more than enough opportunities to learn to lucid dream.
I would provide some of my dreams, but to me it seems pointless because it is so easy to see huge archives of peoples dreams on Lucidipedia. Go on and try it yourself and create your own Dreamscape!
Creative Commons License
London Dreamscape Exhibit by Martin Pearce is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment